This morning the Berlinale announced that the Norwegian film about the Utøya terrorist attack that shook Norway on July 22, 2011, has been added to the competition programme.
This is the third time Poppe comes to Berlin; his first feature Schpaa (1999) and previous drama The King’s Choice (2016) were selected at the Panorama section, but this is his first competition entry.
Poppe said: “This is a recognition I value incredibly highly. But it is not a story I own in any way. The story belongs to the victims and the survivors of this horrendous political terrorist attack. With the presence and help of several of those who were on Utøya that fatal day, we have been able to make as realistic a film as possible. In addition, I want to share the honour with the young actors who put so much outstanding effort and energy into this unusually demanding project.”
Stine Helgeland, Head of Department Communications, Strategic Insight and International Relations at the Norwegian Film Institute said: “We trusted Erik Poppe's ability to bring this difficult story to the big screen, and we are very proud that the film has now gained recognition for its quality.”
The first fiction film about the Utøya historical tragedy, is written by Siv Rajendram and Anna Bache-Wiig (Acquitted) based on testimonies and facts, made into fiction out of respect for individual experiences. On July 22, 2011, more than 500 youths at a political summer camp on the Utøya island outside Oslo, were attacked by a right-wing extremist. Earlier that day, he had bombed a government building in the Norwegian capital. The film starts when the youngsters, shocked by the bombing in Oslo, are reassuring their relatives that they are far away from the incident. Suddenly, the safe atmosphere is shattered when shots are heard. We then follow Kaja as she tries to survive – minute by minute.
“Writing this script was one of the most challenging things we have ever done,” acknowledged the co-writers. “But when Erik called, we did not feel we could say no, because the film is an honest attempt to tell the victims' story. Processing one of our biggest national traumas is important and right, but we have always been aware that it would be challenging. This early recognition is therefore first and foremost a relief.”
The film is produced by Finn Gjerdrum and Stein B. Kvæ of Paradox Film, with support from the Norwegian Film Institute and Nordisk Film & TV Fond among others. The film will have its world premiere in Berlin on February 19, ahead of its national release on March 9, 2018 via Nordisk Film. TrustNordisk handles world sales.
U-July 22 will compete for the Golden Bear against 23 other films including the Swedish film The Real Estate by Måns Månsson and Axel Petersén. The president of this year’s jury is German director, writer, producer Tom Tykwer. The awards ceremony will be held on February 24, 2018 at the Berlinale Palast.